Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Information Management

My organization of files and information
I have a 4GB flash drive that I keep everything on with a directory structure as follows...

o1 Serpents Campaign (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1173774)

Within this foder are two folders, a DM folder and a Player folder. In the DM folder are the following folders...


  • Campaign Newsletters
  • Adventure Episodes
  • Encounters
  • Supporting Characters (NPC's)
  • Treasure Parcels
  • Campaign History
  • Maps
  • Player Information
  • Past Files
  • Graphics

I generally move or copy graphics and maps from the Graphics folder listed above when I use them in the campaign. I also will extract pages from Dungeon Magazine and place them in the Adventure Episodes folder and then delete them or move them to Past Files folder when I'm done running that particular adventure.

The Player folder has a similar folder structure where I copy information from the DM folder so I know what information I've given the players.

04 Adventure Information (Conatains Dungeon and Dragon Magazines in seperate folders)

07 Graphics (folders within to store NPC pictures, maps, and clipart)
Additionally I keep a 1.5 inch white d-ring binder with tabs in it with the same folder structure used in the DM folder on the Flash Drive so that if I print anything out I can keep it organized too.

It took some time to organize everything this way, but once it was done I noticed that I could focus more on world, plot, and encounter building and when I had an idea for an encounter or adventure I could quikly type it up and throw it in a folder to easily find and build off of later.

0 comments: